The R.E.T. Library is sponsoring a pumpkin decorating contest for all 3rd - 5th graders that would like to participate. Contest rules are as follows:
- The theme for the pumpkin contest is “My Favorite Book Character.” You may pick any character from any BOOK you have read or heard. No TV or cartoon characters.
- Pumpkins are to be painted or colored with markers, NOT carved. Acrylic paints or permanent markers work best. Watercolors tend to run. Yarn, construction paper, pipe cleaners, cloth, wigs, old clothes, etc. may be used to decorate the pumpkin; paste or glue may also be used.
- Absolutely no carved pumpkins!!! Carved pumpkins rot, attract bugs, and smell.
Carved pumpkins will not be accepted in the contest and will be sent back home.
- There may be only one entry per student, clearly identified on a 3” x 5” index card:
- Name of the book character, book, and author of the book (front of card)
- Student’s name, grade, and teacher (back of card)
- All entries are due between 7:30 A.M. – 8:15 A.M. on Monday, October 19, 2014. Pumpkins should be brought to the table by the cafeteria so they can be displayed for judging. No early or late entries will be accepted.
- There will be a first, second, and third place winner from each grade. All participants will get a bookmark. Grade level winners will receive a ribbon.
- Pumpkins will be displayed in the hallway by the lunchroom during the week of October 19 – October 23. We encourage entries that are not overly ripe or soft since they will be displayed for a week. All pumpkins must be taken home on Friday afternoon. October 23. Any remaining pumpkins will be thrown away.
- Participation is totally voluntary; the project can be done independently by the student or as a family project. Students choosing to participate must provide their own pumpkin and decorating materials.